This complex of military museums was created by members of the Sampson WWII Veterans organization and was a military base. The Sampson Naval Training Station and Sampson Air Force Base were temporary homes to over 400,000 U.S. servicemen during the 1940s and 1950s. The adjacent former Seneca Army Depot occupied 10,587 acres between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. It was used as a munitions storage and disposal facility by the U. S. Army from 1941 until the 1990s.
The hours of the museum are dependent on volunteer support, but is usually open on the weekend.