Mountain biking at Blue Derby
Mountain biking at Blue Derby
In the 19th century, the township of Derby, in Tasmania's north-east temperate rainforests, was a prosperous town with one of the world's richest tin mines. At its peak the township comprised 3,000 people; and then slumped to 174 through the 20th century as the mines closed operations for good in 1948.
However, almost overnight from 2015-2017, the township was injected with significant financial investment as the Tasmanian State Government recognized the opportunity to revitalize the town through a new bicycle tourism revolution.
Today? - it seems every building in the township is now offering lodging and accommodation to mountain-bikers traveling from all corners of the globe to experience first-hand this mountain biking mecca.
Blue Derby – the star of mountain biking trails network in Tasmania and Australia – brings to you legendary trails and world-class adventures. With more than 120 kilometers of purpose-built trails, Blue Derby has numerous singletracks from green to double-black that excite any rider with all skill levels.
It is the magnificent nature as well as the all-encompassing experience of mountain biking here, and all-about-bike town that make Blue Derby irresistible - for seasoned mountain bikers and those who have never before given it a shot. The residents of Derby love biking as much as you do and they offer everything you need for your best biking experience here.
If you want to read more about Blue Derby or become a supporter, visit Ride Blue Derby.
Photo Credit: Hero Image from Flow Mountain Biking – where you can also find a lot of updates on Blue Derby.
When to go
Blue Derby Mountain Biking Trails network is open all year around.
An annual winter closure affects Blue Tier and Big Chook only. These trails are closed for the majority of July and August but remain open at all other times throughout the year.
Derby's hot tip: April to mid-June and September to mid-November are when the trails are in peak riding condition.
All the info
Our tried and tested Ambassador is CycleLifeHQ Global Operations Manager, Anna.
Here are her recommendations for some of the best experiences in Derby:
- Rusty Krusty; Lower FLickety Sticks. Why? 'As a newbie mountain-biker; Rusty Krusty was a great one to keep going over and over, building confidence and skills with each repeat. One circuit takes around 10 minutes; and it's a great feeling of accomplishment to tackle one little hurdle each time, staying on the bike just a little bit longer. Flickety Sticks was simply gorgeous; and without many technical elements at all. Admittedly, Long Shadows proved challenging to climb, particularly its many tight switchbacks, but the minor annoyance to have to hop off the bike a few times was well rewarded by the forest trail through Flickety Sticks'.
- Derby Base. 'Stu and Jo's place was great. Their communication pre-visit was clear and timely. The wood fire was super cosy. The kitchen had everything we needed; including a sharp knife!! - very rare in holiday rentals and greatly appreciated. Conveniently located; and a welcoming base to return to after being out on wet and cold trails - including that creek crossing! Secure bike storage also a bonus'.
- Derby General Store and Providore. 'For all your produce and snack needs including great coffee this is the place. Aleta and the team are so welcoming and friendly, keen to share their local knowledge and passion for the area. Well worth supporting, and great to be able to buy produce locally, from the locals'.
- The Hub Pizza and Beer. 'Pizza and Beer, right?! And a warm fireplace in the midst of winter. Need there be anything else? Actually, a great wine list, some fresh salads; friendly staff and good customer service. A nice atmosphere. This is a great stop to include in your Derby must-do's'.
Bike rentals and shuttle:
- Vertigo. 'Hands-down a winner. Again, the staff here are just so incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. And for all rider levels. As a newbie, I didn't feel at all intimidated or stupid. The bikes - Specialized - were great: dual suspensions, and the advice of the staff on where to go was spot-on. Can't fault these guys'.