Best Cycling in Canberra, ACT, Australia
Known as the ‘bridge to bridge’ bike ride, this 4.9-km loop from King Avenue Bridge to Commonwealth Avenue Bridge takes in the Parliamentary Triangle. This sightseeing ride will take you to many of the city’s national attractions and is popular with locals and visitors alike, especially on weekends.
The ride also ventures through the R G Menzies Walk (named in acknowledgment of Sir Robert Menzies' contribution to the final development of Canberra) and Australians of the Year Walk (a permanent record of elite Australians of the year and a music walk)
You will have a smooth ride on fully paved paths.
While there are many access points, we recommend that you park your car at Parks Barrine Drive, cross Barrine Dr and enter the foreshore of Lake Burley Griffin.
Food and Drink
Don’t let your hunger and thirst ruin your day, take a look at this “golden list” of restaurants that will please your appetite and are all located right on the route:
- Bookplate, National Library of Australia
- Portrait Cafe, National Portrait Gallery
- Terrace Cafe, Old Parliament House
- NGA Cafe and Street Cafe, National Gallery of Australia
Highlights along the ride
- Bike Ride along the lake’s edge when the Captain Cook Memorial Jet is in full spray or the National Carillon is playing
- Wander through Reconciliation Place to see the outdoor sculpture
- Experience the fun of science at Questacon — The National Science and Technology Centre
- Take a peek inside the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House
- Ride through the National Gallery of Australia’s Sculpture Garden
5.055 km / 3.141 mi
26 m / 87 ft
27 m / 87 ft
565 m / 1,852 ft