Australian Alpine Epic
One of only a handful of Epic accredited rides in the world, the Australian Alpine Epic is a unique, tough and exhilarating journey.
Important safety information and tips:
This amazing 51km odyssey takes riders through ancient Snow gum forests, towering Alpine ash stands, ferny glades and granite monoliths, on a variety of trail types, including single track, double track and 4WD.
Food and drink
At Telephone Box Junction you’ll fnd the Mt Stirling Café is the ideal place to break your Epic ride. Open weekends and public holidays from December – April the café has great food, excellent coffee, a range of guide books and maps, as well as local staff full of mountain knowledge. Facilities at Telephone Box Junction include toilets and a public shelter.
Starting with fun and funky favourites close to the Village, the experience gets a little more wild, as the Epic trail continues through Mt Stirling to Telephone Box Junction, where the trail heads deep into the forest. After a climb to the Pinnacle, and jaw-dropping High Country views, the 8km single track descent to Plain Creek is heart-stopping. From there, a scenic river-side stint brings riders back to leafy Mirimbah Park.
This journey takes riders through a variety of environments, and trail experiences. It utililises familiar favourites including Soul Revival, One Tree Hill, Gang Gangs, Picnic Trail, Cornhill Trail, Woolybutt and Stonefly (ascent). The experience gets a little more wild, as the trail continues through Mt Stirling to Telephone Box Junction, Razorback Trail, and deep into the forest to then thrill the rider with an endless descent flowing down to Carter’s Road. From there, a scenic river-side stint will bring you back to leafy Mirimbah Park at the base of Mt Buller and Mt Stirling Resorts.
Please note: you will come across a cattle containment gate at Mt No 3 Rd - proceed through this gate (please open and close it), to continue on the EPIC trail.
1. Commence at the Epic start on The Avenue, and head left onto Family Trail
3. Cross Goal Post Road to the top of Gang Gangs on your right
4. Descend to the bottom of Gang Gangs, across Corn Hill Road, to Picnic Trail
5. Climb past the Picnic Table junction to Cornhill Trail
6. Continue ahead to Woollybutt, descending to the Circuit Road and Howqua Gap
7. Cross the Circuit Road to the Howqua Gap Hut and to Stoneﬂy
8. Roll around Bluff Spur Hut, and continue left to the West Summit Trail
9. Rounding the base of the Mt Stirling Summit, turn left on the Stirling Trail
10. Continue past King Spur Hut and Cricket Pitch Shelter to Fork Creek Trail
11. Pass the Machinery Shed and turn on to the Upper Baldy Trail
12. Continue to Baldy Loop
13. Cross the Circuit Road (left from TBJ) then turn left up Hut Trail, past Razorback Hut to Razorback Trail
14. Continue on Razorback Trail to the cattle gate and Mt No 3 road.
15. Once past the cattle gate ride 500m to turn left to regain the single track (No. 3 – Pinnacle)
16. Turn left off the single track and climb the Pinnacle Track
17. Pass the log bike rack at the top of the climb and begin your descent to Plain Creek Track (Pinnacle – Plain Creek)
18. Descend the Plain Creek Track to Carter’s Road Picnic Ground
19. Turn left off Plain Creek Track, before the bridge, to the fnal section of single track (Carter’s – Mirimbah), to Mirimbah
20. At Mirimbah celebrate your achievement
37.371 km / 23.221 mi
1,074 m / 3,522 ft
2,003 m / 6,572 ft
1,636 m / 5,368 ft