Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro
The Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro (JBRJ) was founded on June 13, 1808. It arose from a decision of then Portuguese prince D. João to install a powder factory and a garden for acclimatization of plant species originating from other parts of the world. Today, the Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden Research Institute - named after it in 1995, is a federal body linked to the Ministry of the Environment and constitutes one of the most important research centers in the world in the areas of botany and biodiversity conservation.
As we follow the history of the Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro to the present day, it is possible to perceive that it has always close relation with the agenda of interests and concerns at national and world level. The very initiative of its creation was a response to the economic and political context in which Portugal and Brazil, like its colony, were inserted in the beginning of century XIX.